More and more friends and families are dropping like flies this cold season. How can you do your best at work, at home, care for spouse, for kids or for clients if you can’t take care of yourself first? We need energy, health and immune support. So I thought it might be a good idea to write down what I found most useful for my health while fighting off infections and viruses. I also have my 3-year-old on the same rules of thumb but adjusted to be age-appropriate:
1. 5-min rinse of mouth and wash nose with warm salt water first thing in the morning, then brush teeth with just water and rinse.
2. follow with 8-12 oz. of water intake (or more; I do about 20-24oz)
4. 1 lemon squeezed, 1-2 cloves of garlic, .5 inch ginger root pressed (if you don’t do garlic well, add some orange juice – helps with the taste)
5. healthy breakfast
Repeat steps 3 and 4 before every meal. So far, the most I’ve gotten has been a mild sore throat with a slight headache whenever I slacked on doing these steps and a virus would get through. But I love being fully functional.
Other things to consider:
1. increase your liquid intake
2. shoot for more soft and liquid foods (smoothies, soups, stews)
3. get as much rest as possible
4. of course, wash hands frequently, cover coughs and sneezes, etc. 🙂
5. look for foods that boost immune system: sweet potatoes, mushrooms, broccoli, celery, spinach, kale, almonds, etc.
6. limit sugar intake (sugar greatly hinders your immune system)
Just remember that taking over-the-counter meds for cold/flu will only treat the symptoms. It will do very little to help your body fight the virus faster. Focus on boosting your immune system instead, the symptoms will rescind as well.
What do you do to keep healthy while viruses are lurking around?
DISCLAIMER: I am not a medical professional, the above recommendations are based on my own research. You should still consult a medical professional if you deem it necessary.